Maria Positano shaped her practice through commitment to process and sensitivity to materials.Her work generates from her intimate yearning to reach an understanding of the structures and dynamics that constitute the necessity to make.
She completed her BA in Fine Art at City and Guilds London Art School in 2018.
Positano was selected to be part of The Clyde and Co Art Award Scheme, 2018; The Young Talent Contemporary Ingram Collection Purchase Prize, 2018, and The Signature Art Prize Award, 2019.
Her selected solo and group exhibitions include: Dimensions, Menier Gallery, 2018, London; One Need Not Be a Chamber, Exposed Arts Projects, 2018 London; Making Meaning: The Monolith and the Object of Worship, 2018 Subsidiary Projects, London; Intermediaries, Rijksmuseum Twenthe, 2017, Enshede.
The artist also won The Merlin Entertainments Madame Tussauds Project Fund Award, 2016, and the City and Guilds London Art School Sculpture Award, 2018.
In 2017, the artist was selected to be part of the AKI Art School exchange and artist in residency project, organized by the artist Helen Frick.
Maria Positano is exploring self-aspiration, this yearning to achieve beyond tangible results, is for the artist at the core of generating objects of art.
BA (Hons) Fine Art, City and Guilds London Art School, London (2015/2018)
· - Making Meaning: The Monolith and the Object of Worship, Subsidiary Projects, London UK
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Woolwich Contemporary Print Fair, November, London, UK
- Young Contemporary Talent Purchase Prize, November, The Cello Factory, London, UK
- The Clyde and Co Art Award, Sept 2018 - June 2019, London. UK
- BA Degree Show, City and Guilds London Art School, June, London, UK
- Dimensions, Menier Gallery, March, London, UK
- One Need Not Be a Chamber, Exposed Art Project, January - March, London, UK
- Unframed, Arena Business Centre, December, London, UK
- City and Guilds London Art School Interim Show, The Crypt Gallery, June, London, UK
- Temporary Autonomous Art Collective, ExFex, London, UK
- Il Barattolo, Bologna, IT
- City and Guilds London Art School Interim Show, Old Diorama Arts Centre, London, UK
- C'Arte, Accademia di Belle Arti di Napoli, Napoli, IT
- Group Exhibition G30, SpazioUnderG, Napoli, IT
- AKI University Residency - organised by the artist Helen Frik.
With the purpose of creating a sculptural object - to be paired with an artwork of the Rijksmuseum
Twenthe’s glassware collection. April - 2017
- Winner of the City and Guilds London Art School Sculpture Prize, 2018
- Selected for the Clyde and Co Art Award Collection, 2018
- Shortlisted for the Acme City & Guilds of London Art School Award, 2018
- Shortlisted for the Clyde and Co Blank Canvas Award, 2018
- Winner of The Merlin Entertainments' Madame Tussauds Project Fund Award, 2017
- Shortlisted for The Fishmongers’ Company Beckwith Sculpture Scholarship and Travel Award, 2017
- Shortlisted to the Idun Ravndal Travel Award, 2017
- Shortlisted for the Artists' Collecting Society Award, 2017